Point of Retreat (Slammed, #2)

Point of Retreat (Slammed, #2) - Colleen Hoover I was provided a free copy for review from Netgalley.

Oh my... I usually am hesitant to read sequels to contemporary romance/new adult books simply because the love story has already been written essentially. In fact a lot of the sequels are spin-offs for another character. So I went into this knowing that it wasn't a spin-off. And yet already having read about Lake and Will falling in love. But they are one couple I couldn't get enough of. I wanted to be there for the rest of their story, especially when they were officially dating, since we didn't really get that in Slammed. Well Ms. Hoover more than delivered.

I loved that it certainly wasn't paradise for Lake and Will, but that they cared enough for each other not to just automatically through everything away when things got tough (like a lot of people do these days). At about 65% I started thinking things were going too well for there to still be 35% of the book left. Sure enough a little later I was totally taken by surprise. I totally didn't see it coming. I LOVE it when books surprise me like that. I also love that Sherry was added into the story. She really helped add the mothering aspect to the story, seeing as Julia wasn't able to. Although the stars that Julia left behind did interject her into the story periodically. That was an awesome idea, and I love the role it played in the proposal.

I did have one issue with Layken getting so mad over the whole Vaughn thing. When she's suggesting that Will loves her simply because they're both orphans that are raising their younger siblings, that they're both in the same position. The one thing that nagged at me the entire time was that he showed definite interest, and that he was starting to fall in love with her before she even knew her mother was dying. Thus, at that point they didn't even know that they would be in the same situation. Really that's about the only issue that I had with the story, and that's very minor.

Also, the poetry was still just as good as Slammed, but there was one writing 50,000 words in a month. At first I was like oh yeah, that's easy. But then I got to thinking just how hard it would be to be able to get enough thoughts out of your head to make 50,000 words. I know it was a very minor part of the story, that most people probably didn't think twice about. But it really got me to thinking just how much better you would know yourself if you attempted that feat. Maybe that will be a future endeavor for me. Who knows, but that is definitely something I'm taking away from this story.